What is a GIF file?
You’ll likely see GIF files every time you kiểm tra your social truyền thông feeds. But what does GIF mean, and how vì thế these files work?
GIF stands for Graphics Interchange Format. GIF is a raster tệp tin format designed for relatively basic images that appear mainly on the mạng internet. Each tệp tin can tư vấn up vĩ đại 8 bits per px and can contain 256 indexed colors. GIF files also allow images or frames vĩ đại be combined, creating basic animations.
Bạn đang xem: file gif
These files use the .gif extension and can be opened in a wide range of programs.
History of the GIF tệp tin.
The GIF tệp tin format was created in June 1987 by computer scientist Steve Wilhite and his team at the US technology company CompuServe.
Originally designed vĩ đại tốc độ up the tải về process for large images, it also replaced CompuServe’s black-and-white format for tệp tin downloads with a color format.
CompuServe’s early versions of the GIF tệp tin format were called 87a and 89a. Along with black-and-white XBM files, GIF was the first image format vĩ đại commonly appear on websites.
The GIF tệp tin has evolved vĩ đại offer more animation functions. For example, creators gained the ability vĩ đại loop GIF animations in 1995, following work on the Netscape Navigator browser. Facebook began supporting GIFs in năm ngoái, with Instagram following in 2018.
What are GIF files used for?
The Graphics Interchange Format is designed vĩ đại display simple images and animations. But what is a GIF used for specifically?
Web graphics and logos.
Because they can only display a limited number of colors, GIF files aren’t built vĩ đại contain high-quality photographs. Instead, GIFs are better suited vĩ đại graphics and logos featuring sharp lines and edges — and relatively few colors.
Memes and online animations.
You’ll come across endless animated GIFs on websites and social truyền thông platforms. GIF files create a flipbook effect by containing a number of related images, giving the impression of a Clip — but they don’t feature any sound and tend vĩ đại have a low resolution. GIFs are also a popular way vĩ đại post online memes, humorous clips spread by social truyền thông users.
Discover more raster files
Pros and cons of GIF files.
Learn about the advantages and disadvantages of GIFs before selecting this tệp tin format for your images.
Advantages of GIF files.
- What GIF animations lack in sophistication they trang điểm for with tốc độ and impact. They’re quick vĩ đại create, don’t require too much technical know-how, and can spread across social truyền thông sites lượt thích wildfire as memes.
- The color limits placed on GIFs keep their tệp tin sizes relatively small. This can help them load faster on trang web pages.
- GIF files boast a feature called lossless compression. This means their image quality doesn’t decline when their data gets compressed.
Disadvantages of GIF files.
- The GIF tệp tin format only supports a palette of 256 colors, meaning images may have a low resolution or even look slightly blurry.
- Because they use multiple images, animated GIF files can sometimes be tricky vĩ đại return vĩ đại and edit.
- Although GIFs are generally small and quick vĩ đại load, a slow mạng internet connection could delay or negatively affect their appearance on a webpage.
How vĩ đại open a GIF tệp tin.
Opening GIF files is straightforward on a Mac or Windows computer. Simply tìm kiếm for the tệp tin name and double-click on it when it appears. Then, choose compatible software, such as Adobe Photoshop. Just click on your preferred program. GIFs have wide compatibility — they can be opened through most major image and Clip editing programs.
Xem thêm: nếu bây giờ được chọn lựa một lần nữa
GIFs are also easy vĩ đại open through web-based browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. In the case of Internet Explorer, simply click on the File thực đơn and then Open. Select Browse followed by All Files. Click on the GIF tệp tin name and then Open.
How vĩ đại create and edit a GIF tệp tin.
Follow these easy steps vĩ đại create and edit an animated GIF using Adobe Photoshop:
- Upload the images you want vĩ đại use in your GIF vĩ đại Photoshop by heading vĩ đại File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack.
- Click on Create Frame Animation.
- Click on Make Frames From Layers in the Timeline panel.
- Choose the Repeat thực đơn in the Timeline panel and select Forever.
- Simply hit Play at the bottom of the Timeline panel vĩ đại preview your animation.
- To share, head vĩ đại File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy).
GIF files: frequently asked questions.
Can GIF files be used for high-resolution photos?
GIF image files can only contain 256 colors, making them unsuitable for high-resolution photographs from digital cameras. JPEG files are a more popular option for photographs containing sharp details due vĩ đại their ability vĩ đại display millions of different colors.
Does copyright law apply vĩ đại memes?
Many GIF memes shared on social truyền thông sites contain snippets of copyrighted material — such as images from films or photography agencies. It’s not common for copyright holders vĩ đại take legal action against people creating memes for non-commercial use, but it’s better vĩ đại error on the side of caution. Businesses using animated GIFs for commercial purposes, however, should abide by their local rules and regulations when selecting GIF images.
Are there limits on GIF tệp tin sizes?
Many online GIF creation tools limit the size of the files you can make. The top limit tends vĩ đại be 200MB. Time limits apply too, with some tools curbing the length of an animated GIF at 15 seconds. Limiting the number of images — or frames — within your tệp tin will also make it easier vĩ đại manage.
Xem thêm: samsung galaxy j7 2016 16gb (vàng)
Can I add sound vĩ đại my GIF file?
Because they aren’t true Clip files, GIFs are unable vĩ đại carry sound. Popular Clip tệp tin formats such as AVI, MP4, and WEBM can contain sound and images simultaneously.
What’s the difference between GIF and PNG files?
The PNG format is newer than thở the GIF tệp tin but offers similar benefits, including lossless compression. One key difference is that only GIFs tư vấn animation. Some people prefer PNGs over GIFs for static trang web graphics because they can display more than thở 16 million colors, instead of just 256.